This video lesson is designed for grade 1 to 5 children. This lesson is about poetry and guides the child through various terms related to poetry. First, let us understand what poetry means
What is poetry?
Poetry is a form of writing which usually is in verses. It is written in short lines and those lines end with either rhymes or rhythm
Poets convey a thought, a message, a feeling, describe a scene or tell a story via their poetry.
What is the importance of poetry?
The art of poetry helps us understand different perspectives of life. The study of poetry can help children appreciate other cultures and their viewpoints. It also helps in opening venues for speaking and listening.
In this video, we will explore a few terms related to poetry and read one of the books.
Let us understand few words related to poetry and their meaning:
- Lines– sequence of words printed as a separate entity on the page, moving down on the page starts a new one. Poet uses them to organize the poem.
- Epic -is the extended narrative poem recounting actions, travel, adventure, and heroic episodes. The important characteristics give long formal speeches.
- Rhymes – the similarity between syllable sounds of two or more lines
- Blank verse – this kind of poetry is written in unrhymed lines in iambic pentameter.
- Verse – refers to either a single line of poetry or two metrical poetry.
- Stanza – is a division of a poem composed of two or more lines usually characterized by a common pattern of lines or number of lines.
- Acrostic poem – a poem in which the first and last letter or each line vertically form a phrase or a sentence.
- Hyperbole – is an extravagant exaggeration overstated to produce a dramatic effect.
- Onomatopoeia – are the words that imitate the sound similar to the noises they describe. E.g., thud sound, hiss sound.
The video will help the child become more familiar with poetry. Read one of the poems along with the child and let them relate to the terms discussed in the video.
For more language resources, visit https://theglobalmontessorinetwork.org/language-lessons/.
Video created by Sharmeen Niazi (Archgate Montessori Academy, Plano, TX)
Elementary | Language | Poetry Lesson (English)
This video has been added and used with the author’s permission. It is also available on the author’s YouTube, here.