This language lesson is designed for 3 to 6-year-old children. It guides them to expand their vocabulary and improve their confidence in the pronunciation of some words. Matching activities are numerous and can be modified to fit different age groups and to enhance knowledge in other areas.
Benefits of Matching Rhyming Pictures Activity
• It improves a child’s ability to understand the pronunciation of some words.
• It helps them to learn new vocabulary.
• It improves their concentration
• It builds a sense of order
Materials Required for Matching Rhyming Pictures Activity
• A small mat
• A small tray
• Two sets of 8 or more pictures. The pictures of one group, rhyme with the other group pictures.
How to Introduce Rhyming Pictures Activity to the Child?
In this activity, the child matches pairs of rhyming pictures.
1. Carry the tray with the words to a mat or a table.
2. Place the tray in one corner of the mat to clear the space
3. Take a set of cards and line them up on the left side of the mat.
If there are many cards, you will need to make two columns.
4. Take a card from the other set, say the word that it represents, and compare it with the first card on the mat.
If it’s the rhyming word, leave it there. If the cards don’t match, compare your card with the following cards until you find the rhyming word.
5. Repeat the process with the other cards until all cards match.
6. Pick up each set of cards, shuffle them, and put them back in the tray.
Variations and Extensions
If you want to use this activity with older children, you can include more complex words.
For more information, please see the following link: https://theglobalmontessorinetwork.org/
For more information on the language field, please visit the following link: https://theglobalmontessorinetwork.org/language-lessons/
Video created by: Alejandra Jurado
- english language
- language development
- primary level