I Can by Helen Oxenbury
This video lesson is designed for 3-6-year-old children to imbibe book reading habits into them. In this lesson, we will read and discuss a famous book, ‘I can.’ by author Helen Oxenbury’.
Introduction to the Author: Helen Oxenbury
Helen Oxenbury is an English illustrator and writer who was born in June 1938. Her work has been focused on picture books for children. Helen has an extensive series of children’s books to suit the Montessori philosophy.
Brief Description of the Book: I can
I Can, is a book in which a little boy, who is the main character, narrates the actions he has learned to do with his body, actions such as jump, run, slide, etc. Reading this book motivates the children to try doing the same actions the little child does. Also, it is an opportunity to teach some new words.
Watch the video along with the child to read the book: I can and build their language skills.
How can Book Reading Help in a Child’s Growth?
Book reading helps children develop communication skills, patience, empathy, and literacy. These factors are critical to academic success and beyond. Other benefits of book reading are:
- In-depth knowledge of words and sounds
- Improves vocabulary and memory
- Improve listening skills
- Builds concentration and discipline
- Cultivates reading habit
How to Identify Age-Appropriate Books for Children According to the Montessori Method?
- Start with non-fiction books. It is very important to understand that children under 6 years of age still cannot differentiate between real or fantasy. Also, the Montessori philosophy recommends that for young children storybooks do not include fantasy.
- Montessori philosophy also advises using books where pictures or drawings resemble reality.
- an appropriate book should have simplicity in its design. As with the materials used for learning activities, it is suggested that the books keep that simplicity. It is considered that the child does not need to be over-stimulated to enjoy a book.
- The book should narrate stories that cultivate values.
To watch more book reading video lessons by the author Helen Oxenbury, click on the links below:
For more language resources, visit https://theglobalmontessorinetwork.org/language-lessons/.
Video created by: Alejandra Jurado
- book reading