This language lesson is designed for 3-6-year-old children and introduces metal insets to learn designing and writing.
What are Metal Insets?
The Metal Insets are part of the Montessori Language Curriculum. It helps to prepare children for writing.
A metal sheet comprises ten flat metal squares. Each of the squares is a metal shape cut-out with two components. It includes a frame and a blue metal shape, cut out with a knob in the center, and different colored pencils.
The cut-out shapes from which a child could choose to work with include:
- curvilinear triangle
Benefits of Using Montessori Metal Insets
It Helps the Child to
- Prepare the hand for pincer grip
- Improve hand control to hold the pencil
- Develop straight and curved lines to form letters or for creating a continuous line for cursive writing
- Develop hand-eye coordination
- Refine fine motor skills, improve concentration, and maintain correct posture while writing
- Become proficient at planning and executing artistic designs.
- Strengthen concentration
Invite the child to watch the video and follow the instructions on how to use metal insets. Use different shapes and colored pencils available with the metal inset to create a design masterpiece.
For more language resources, visit: https://theglobalmontessorinetwork.org/language-lessons/.
Video created by Bronia Birkbeck (Building Futures Education)
Primary | Language | Metal Inset for Design Introduction (English)
This video has been added and used with the author’s permission. It is also available on the author’s YouTube, here.