This video lesson is designed for children aged 3-6 years to teach them the phonic sound of the letter ‘c’ and how to pronounce the words starting with it.
Learning the phonics sounds of the alphabet is the first step in learning spelling and vocabulary. Phonics helps children read faster and more fluently.
In our previous video lesson, we learned about what phonics is, the benefits of learning phonics, and the phonic sound of b. This video lesson is the 3rd in a row of learning phonics.
Why is it important to learn letter sounds?
In Phonics, the alphabetic principle is used so that children can concentrate on understanding the meaning of the words, which is the core purpose of reading. It becomes easier to learn to read and write when sounds associated with letters are recognized automatically.
The alphabetic principle has two parts:
- Understanding the alphabetic involves knowing that words are composed of letters that represent sounds.
- In the phonological recording, the letters or sounds in printed words can be translated into the sounds they make so the words can be read and pronounced correctly.
Pronunciation of ‘c’, or sounds of the letter ‘c’
The letter ‘c’ is usually pronounced as a /k/ sound in English. But actually, letter c has two sounds. It can be pronounced as a /k/ or /s/ sound. But which one is right? It depends on the next letters of the words.
The rules are as follows:
- Letter c produces /s/ sound if it is followed by the letters ‘e’, ‘i’, or ‘y’. For example, cent, Cinderella, and Lucy. This sound is known as the soft c sound.
- Letter c produces /k/ sound if it is followed by the letters ‘a’, ‘o’, or ‘u’ or a consonant at the end of the word. For example, car, coat, cut, and across. This sound is known as the hard c sound.
This video allows the child to explore the short consonant sound of the English letter ‘C’ and learn words starting with it, such as carrot, crab, caterpillar, and coin. The sounds are repeated for each word so that the child can hear and pronounce the letter accurately.
Watch the video to learn how the sounds of the letter ‘c’ are repeated for each word so that the child can hear and pronounce the words accurately.
More Pronunciation videos:
- Pronunciation of the letter ‘b’
- Pronunciation of the letter ‘d’
- Pronunciation of the letter ‘e’
- Pronunciation of the letter ‘f’
For more English language resources, visit: https://theglobalmontessorinetwork.org/language-lessons/
Video created by: Strykun Olena
- phonic sound