This sensorial lesson is designed for 3 to 6-year-old children to guide them with the difference in diameter and height using Montessori yellow knobless cylinders.
In our previous video, we learned about Montessori knobless cylinders, the order in which they are introduced to the child, and red knobless cylinders. Yellow knobless cylinders are 2nd in the row when introducing knobless cylinders to the child. Cylinders in the yellow knobless cylinders’ box decrease in both diameter and height.
Aim of introducing Montessori Yellow knobless cylinder
- Development of visual discrimination based on the difference in diameter and height.
- It also helps in developing a child’s fine motor skills, order, concentration, and hand-eye coordination.
Control of error
Each cylinder has a different diameter and height when seen visually.
Points of interest
- The color of the cylinders, i.e. yellow.
- The difference in the size and height of each cylinder.
How to present Montessori yellow knobless cylinders to the child?
- Invite the child to the table while carrying the box of yellow knobless cylinders.
- Take off the box lid and place it below the box.
- Using your thumb and two primary fingers, slowly remove each cylinder and place them randomly in a row in front of the child.
- Tell the child “Now, I am going to arrange these cylinders in order.”
- Introduce the child with the biggest and smallest yellow cylinders.
- Let the child compare its size.
- Now, place the longest yellow cylinder on the left.
- Select the next longest yellow cylinder and place it in position 2(from left to right.)
- Continue till all the cylinders are placed in order from longest to smallest.
- Touch the top of each cylinder from left to right and again introduce them with the concept of longest to the smallest.
- Ask the child, “Do you observe any difference in these cylinders?”
- Let them reply, “Yes, as we move from left to right the height of the cylinder is decreasing, they are becoming smaller”.
- Now ask the child, ” Do you observe anything else?”
- Let the child answer, “yes, as we move from left to right the size of the cylinders is also decreasing. They are becoming thinner.”
- Agree with them and say, “yes, these cylinders are decreasing both in height and size as we move from left to right.”
- Invite the child to try arranging them in order.
Invite the child to arrange the cylinders as per the size as shown in the video and help them develop their visual dimension senses.
More knobless cylinders video resources
For more video lessons, click here.
Video Created by: Joanne Shango
- english language
- knobless cylinders
- primary level