This science lesson is designed for parents to know their 6 to 9-year-old child with the help fo cosmic education techniques. Parents will learn how education plays a critical role in the development of the whole person within the context of the universe and how everything is interconnected.
What is Cosmic Education?
Cosmic education refers to the philosophy coined by Dr. Maria Montessori, which says that all things are interconnected in this universe and that each living thing has a specific role or Cosmic task to carry out. The children are is at the center of this universe. Using their imagination, abstract reasoning, and questioning mind, they start to learn newer concepts.
It describes the role of education as comprehensive, holistic, and purposeful; to encompass the development of the whole person within the context of the universe.
Why is cosmic education important?
With cosmic education, children learn how the universe is prepared for them and what place they have in it. It teaches the child how to navigate the universe with a sense of generosity towards the humanity.
Watch the video to know more about cosmic education, learn with examples, and link biology with different subjects.
Here are the ‘cosmic education’ activities that link biology to other subjects! (part of 120 activities for 6-9-year-olds)
1. Debate on a topic. Let’s say, “Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not adding it to a fruit salad.” Let the child debate on this with their friend. One can find out why it should be a fruit, and the other child can argue why it should be a vegetable. A third child can join as a mediator.
2. Learning, imagination, art, and fun!- Let the child choose an animal. The chosen animal must now be drawn by interchanging the body parts with other objects based on the function of the body part.
For instance, you can portray a tortoise shell as armor, a bird’s wings as kites, and so on. Do not forget to post these crazy animal pictures.
3. Find a way to bring in math operations and concepts in biology. Let the child compare the heights of dinosaurs, wingspans of birds, multiply cats times the number of kittens they give birth to. Find out how many rows of 5 sunflowers a farmer can grow, if he has 25 seeds. When children feel connected to the concept with real objects they learn faster and better.
4. Look up how to make a working model of a lung using just a balloon, bottle, and straw! Or show your child the working of the vertebrae using a toilet paper roll cut into sections, held together with string! Once they’ve made the model, they could make a video or a booklet to let their friends know the steps involved.
5. Is your child a fan of countries, maps, and globes? Help them find information on the types of flora and fauna found in a particular country or continent. Let the child book a slot with the whole family to present a chart, booklet, or model.
Invite the child to perform the activities shown in the video by applying the concept of Cosmic Education at home. Help the child explore the universe by following the path of exploration.
For more language resources, visit: https://theglobalmontessorinetwork.org/language-lessons/.
Video created by Aishwarya | I teach I learn
Elementary | Science | Cosmic Education (English)
This video has been added and used with the author’s permission. It is also available on the author’s YouTube, here.