The stereognostic bag activity, 1st video in the series, belongs to the sensory area of the Montessori Method. This activity is aimed at children between 3 and 5 years old and depending on the complexity of the activity, it can be used by 6 years old children, or older. This activity promotes the development of the stereognostic sense, which is the ability to perceive and recognize, through touch, the characteristics that allow identifying an object. For example shape, size, type of material, temperature, texture, etc.
Direct Purpose: This activity helps develop the stereognostic sense and identify two identical objects without seeing them.
Indirect purpose: This activity helps the child develop the ability to concentrate, identify and recognize some geometric figures.
Materials Required for the Mystery Bag activity
– A cloth bag
– Two sets of five or more figures, preferably made of wood, with a similar texture but different shapes.
What is stereognostic sense?
A Stereognostic sense is the ability to perceive and recognize, through touch, the characteristics that allow identifying an object without looking, smelling, tasting, or hearing it.
It helps a child identify the shape, size, type of material, temperature, texture, etc. It is also known as tactile or kinesthetic sensibility.
What is a stereognostic bag?
The stereognostic bag is also called the mystery bag. It is designed to help children develop their ability to visualize objects using only their sense of touch. Children love this activity because it is both challenging and fun.
Usually, it is simply a non-transparent cloth bag or box with a hole/ opening for the child’s hands, through which they can touch and identify objects without looking at them.
The Mystery Bag is also used to reinforce the geometric solids from the sensorial area in the Montessori classroom.
Presentation: How to Introduce Mystery Bag Activity to a Child
Bring the activity from the shelf, invite the child to the table.
Name all the objects on the table, and please demonstrate the activity slowly and carefully so that the child can clearly see all the movements.
- Place a set of shapes inside the bag.
- Set up the other set of shapes on the table.
- touch and feel one of the shapes on the table, then use your Stereognostic sense to find a similar shape inside the bag.
- Place the shape next to its pair and continue with the next shape.
- Once you have finished, place a set of shapes back into the bag.
- Tell the child that you have finished the activity and encourage him to try this activity by himself.
Benefits of Mystery Bag or Stereognostic Bag Activity
- It helps children to develop spatial awareness and understand the world around them.
- It builds visual discrimination to differentiate and categorize between forms, colors, and sizes.
- It enhances cognitive development by touching and communicating how the object feels (soft, scratchy, smooth, bumpy, etc.).
- It helps in increasing vocabulary, train memory and improves concentration.
Watch the video to know more about stereognostic activity 1
To watch more stereognostic bag activities, click on the below link:
- The stereognostic bag activity 2: Find Two Similar Objects
- The stereognostic bag activity 3: Identify the object
- The stereognostic bag activity 4: Touch and describe
- The stereognostic bag activity 5: Find known objects
Explore more video resources, click here.
Video created by: Alejandra Jurado