The stereognostic bag activity, 5th video in the series, belongs to the sensory area of the Montessori Method. This activity is aimed at children between 3 and 5 years old and depending on the complexity of the activity, it can be used by 6 years old children, or older. This activity promotes the development of the stereognostic sense, which is the ability to perceive and recognize, through touch, the characteristics that allow identifying an object. For example shape, size, type of material, temperature, texture, etc.
Direct Purpose: This activity helps to develop the ability to identify an object by using only the sense of touch, it also helps the child to train the memory.
Indirect purpose: This activity helps the child to develop the ability to concentrate.
Materials Required for the Mystery Bag Activity 5
- A cloth bag
- Five or more different objects
What is stereognostic sense?
A Stereognostic sense is the ability to perceive and recognize, through touch, the characteristics that allow identifying an object without looking, smelling, tasting, or hearing it.
It helps a child identify the shape, size, type of material, temperature, texture, etc. It is also known as tactile or kinesthetic sensibility.
What is a stereognostic bag?
The stereognostic bag is also called the mystery bag. It is designed to help children develop their ability to visualize objects using only their sense of touch. Children love this activity because it is both challenging and fun.
Usually, it is simply a non-transparent cloth bag or box with a hole/ opening for the child’s hands, through which they can touch and identify objects without looking at them.
The Mystery Bag is also used to reinforce the geometric solids from the sensorial area in the Montessori classroom.
Presentation: How to Introduce Mystery Bag Activity to a Child?
Before you start, explain to the child what you are going to do in this activity. To sharpen the sense of touch, it is advisable to use an eye mask, however, check first that the child does not feel uncomfortable and unsafe with the mask on the eyes. Please Demonstrate the activity slowly and carefully so that the child can clearly see all the movements.
- Set up the objects on the table and name them.
- One by one, touch the objects and put them inside the bag.
- Put your hand in the bag, choose an object, feel its shape and other characteristics and say what object is.
- Take the object out of the bag and check.
- Continue with the next object.
- Tell the child that you have finished the activity. Encourage the child to try this activity alone.
Benefits of Mystery Bag or Stereognostic Bag Activity
- It helps children to develop spatial awareness and understand the world around them.
- It builds visual discrimination to differentiate and categorize between forms, colors, and sizes.
- It enhances cognitive development by touching and communicating how the object feels (soft, scratchy, smooth, bumpy, etc.).
- It helps in increasing vocabulary.
- It helps to train memory and improves concentration.
Watch the video to know more about stereognostic activity 5: Finding known objects.
To watch more stereognostic bag activities, click on the below link:
- The stereognostic bag activity 1: Touch and find the pair
- The stereognostic bag activity 2: Find two similar objects
- The stereognostic bag activity 3: Identify the object
- The stereognostic bag activity 4: Touch and describe
To watch Explore more video resources, click here.
Video created by: Alejandra Jurado
- montessori guide