This practical life activity is designed for 3-6-year old children to teach them how to pour water using a funnel without spilling.
Children love playing with water. Children learn to estimate the exact amount of liquid flowing through the funnel through the activity with a funnel. This lesson helps the child perform day-to-day activities like pouring milk into small bottles/ containers independently and confidently.
Purpose of the Montessori funnel activity
The purpose of pouring using a funnel is to
- Refine fine motor skills such as picking up a pitcher or a creamer and pouring it into another vessel.
- Helps to bring stability and strength to their hand and arm muscles
- Teaches patience
- Develop attention, concentration, coordination, and independence.
- Develop strength in fingers
- Develop pincer grip
- Develop problem-solving skills
Material required for pouring using a funnel activity
- Bottle with a narrow opening
- Pitcher filled with water
- Sponge to clean up spilled water
Control of Error
Marking on the slim neck container.
Points of Interest:
- Do not allow the funnel to knock into the heck of the bottle, place it in and out carefully
- The funnel will drip water onto the tray, but you can reduce the amount by wiping it
How to introduce pouring using a funnel activity to the child?
- Invite the child to bring the funneling water activity to the table.
- Now introduce the child to a bottle, funnel, and pitcher.
- Hold the bottle with the dominant hand.
- With the non-dominant hand, pick and put the funnel inside the bottle keeping the spout down.
- Move the left thumb and index finger of the non-dominant hand, so that you hold the top of the funnel inside the neck of the bottle.
- Hold the jug with the dominant hand and start pouring water inside the funnel.
- Wait for the last drop to fall and put the empty pitcher back in the tray, as shown in the video.
- Wipe the spilled water, if any.
- The water is now transferred into the bottle using a funnel.
- Invite the child to repeat this activity.
Watch this video to see how to perform the funneling activity. Invite the child to pour water into the container using a funnel. Let the child perform daily activities at home and build confidence.
- How to use tongs?
- How to string beads?
- How to use a clothespin?
- How to use tongs, chopsticks and tweezers?
For more practical life lessons, click here:
Video created by: Strykun Olena
- Montessori at home
- Practical Life
- primary level