This practical life activity is designed for 3-6-year-old children to teach the child to screw and unscrew nuts and bolts.
What are Montessori Nuts and Bolts Activity and its Purpose?
Montessori nut and bolt is an open-ended activity that keeps children engaged while helping them to develop fine motor skills, concentration, coordination, and independence. The practice also helps them in strengthening hand muscles and teaches patience and accuracy.
Most nuts and bolts are made of metal, or wood, and come in different shapes and sizes. Children will use their cognitive skills to match pieces by color, shape, and size. These variations are appealing to children and keep them engaged. Montessori nuts and bolt activity even helps in math skills such as matching, counting, sorting, sizing, making patterns, and categorizing.
Materials Required for Nuts and Bolts Activity
- Different sized nuts and bolts
Control of Error
Bolts and nuts will not match if the wrong pair is chosen.
How do you Introduce Nuts and Bolts Activity to the Child?
- Invite the child to the table and tell them that today we are going to learn how to unscrew a nut from the bolt.
- Ask the child to try unscrewing it.
- Now, introduce the child to screw the nut onto the bolt.
- Ask the child to try screwing it.
- Now, invite the child to screw and unscrew different-sized nuts and bolts.
Different Nuts and Bolts Activities that can be Introduced to a Child
- How to screw and unscrew nuts with bolts
- Grading different-sized nuts and bolts
- Screwing nuts and bolts into a frame
- Screwing and unscrewing nuts and bolts using a screwdriver
Learning about how to use nuts and bolts teaches them the importance of safety and following rules. It also helps to develop persistence as they learn to master the skill.
Watch the video and repeat this activity along with the child. When the child has learned this activity, you can increase the challenge and add nuts and bolts of different sizes to match them.
Related Videos :
- How to use tongs?
- How to string beads?
- How to use a clothespin?
- How to use tongs, chopsticks, and tweezers?
For more practical life lessons, click here:
Video created by: Strykun Olena
- Practical Life