This practical life activity is designed for 3-6-year-old children. In this activity, children will learn how to peel a cucumber using a peeler.
Benefits of Peeling a Cucumber Activity
The peeling of a cucumber activity is a food preparation activity that helps a child develop fine motor skills. This activity has numerous benefits; a few are listed below.
- It builds the practical life skill of using a vegetable peeler
- It helps to develop order, coordination, and independence.
- It helps a child to become independent
- It helps to develop social skills and teaches them how to adapt to society.
- It strengthens the finger muscles and increases concentration.
Material Required for Peeling Activity
- Vegetable peeler
- Chopping board
- A cucumber
The peeling activity can be performed with other fruits and vegetables like potato, radish, turnip, carrot, sweet potato, apple, etc.
How to Introduce the Peeling Cucumber Activity to the Child?
- Wash the cucumber under cool running water – first, ask the child to prepare the cucumber before peeling it. To do so, wash the cucumber thoroughly with water to remove dirt or impurities. It is necessary to remove all pesticides and any lingering dirt.
- Place a chopping board on the countertop. The chopping board provides a flat surface. It helps to keep the cucumber steady. It also protects the countertop from cuts and scratches made by the peeler.
- Place a bowl along with the chopping board – The bowl helps to keep the cucumber peel as the child removes them from the cucumber. It helps to keep the chopping board and countertop clean.
- Remove the Tip and Top of the cucumber – Ask the child to remove both ends using a knife before peeling the cucumber.
- Holding the cucumber – As shown in the video, ask the child to hold the cucumber from the top using the thumb and forefinger of the non-dominant hand. Hold the cucumber by tilting it at a 45-degree angle over the chopping board, with the cucumber top pointing down.
- Using a peeler- Place the vegetable peeler against the top of the cucumber. A vegetable peeler removes thin skin slices when pressed against the cucumber. Now, to peel the cucumber, push the vegetable peeler downwards along the surface of the cucumber to its tip. Repeat the process until the entire peel of the cucumber has been removed.
- Clean the chopping board – Ask the child to put the cucumber’s skin into the bowl and clean the surface of the chopping board. This step is essential as it teaches children to keep the environment clean by responsibly disposing of vegetable peels.
- Rinse the cucumber – Rinse the cucumber once again to remove any dirt left on the cucumber.
Watch the video to learn how to peel a cucumber correctly. Invite the child to repeat this peeling activity and build their confidence.
The activity instills a sense of achievement and contribution as the child helps in preparing food and enables them to carry out daily household chores.
Show them to take good care of the environment by responsibly disposing of vegetable peels.
Some other peeling activities video links:
For more practical life lessons, click here.
Video Created by: Nertila Hoxha
- english language
- Practical Life
- primary level