This practical life lesson is designed for 3-6-year-old children. It guides children through the process of chopping or slicing while preparing the food.
Chopping a Banana Activity
Chopping a banana is a simple practical life activity and a food preparation activity for children that aims to:
- Develop OCCD (Order, concentration, coordination, and independence).
- Boost self-esteem
- Strengthen the finger muscles
- Strengthen hand-eye coordination and cognitive skills.
- Build healthy work habits.
Materials Required for Slicing a Banana Activity
- A Tray
- A banana
- A child-safe knife
- A small chopping-board
- Two bowls
- A pair of tongs
How to Introduce Chopping/Slicing Activity to the Child?
- Tell the child, today we are going to learn how to chop a banana.
- Show the child how to wash their hands when preparing the food and encourage them to repeat the step.
- Place the banana on the chopping board.
- Ask the child to peel the banana and put the banana skin in one of the bowls.
- Now place the banana on the chopping board.
- Holding the knife in your right hand, show the child the teeth of the knife. Tell them that they are sharp and that we must not touch them.
- Hold the banana steady on the chopping board with your left hand and cut it into a piece. Invite the child to finish slicing the rest of the banana.
- Show the child how to pick up the banana slices using tongs from the chopping board and place them in the second bowl. Allow the child to complete the process.
- Show the child to take good care of the environment by properly disposing of the banana peels.
The Montessori practical life lesson on chopping and slicing is a simple at-home schooling activity that takes only a few minutes to set up. Watch the video and try it today!
Invite the child to repeat this chopping activity with various other vegetables and fruits such as carrots, and cucumber and build their confidence.
More Montessori Inspired Practical Life activities:
- How to grate cheese?
- How to peel a cucumber?
- How to peel a carrot?
- How to peel and slice satsuma orange?
For more practical life lessons, click here.
Video created by: Strykun Olena
- Practical Life