This art and craft video is designed for primary level (age 3-6 years) children to teach them clay sculpting.
Clay sculpting is a hands-on activity that enables the child to learn how to manipulate and shape clay using their hands. It is an excellent way to develop fine motor skills and sensory awareness.
What is a Sculpture?
A sculpture is a 3-D work of art created by shaping or combining materials. From ancient times, we as humans have made pots, plates, bowls, sculptures, and many other objects from clay.
Benefits of Clay Modeling
Clay modeling is an activity that is therapeutically beneficial to children. It enhances a child’s creativity and is an essential part of early childhood education.
- It helps in motor skill development: It sets the foundation for learning to write, holding a glass, tieing a shoelace, etc.
- It develops self-esteem and self-expression: It helps a child to calm emotions and gain confidence and perseverance.
- It builds concentration and focus.
- It helps to develop visual-spatial skills. These skills help kids analyze what they see and make choices based on visual information.
- It also assists with developing executive function, which includes working memory, mental flexibility, and self-control.
Other Educational Benefits of Clay Modelling in a Montessori Classroom
Apart from the above benefits, it teaches a child to
- Craft letters of the alphabet and pronounce them out loud.
- Create abstract art using their creativity.
- Mold clay in various living beings such as caterpillars, dogs, cats, birds, and many more.
- Mold clay in different shapes, stack them together, and create a masterpiece.
Tips to Introduce Clay Modeling to the Child
To encourage a child’s interest, use the following tips:
- Ask the child what they want to create today.
- Encourage them to craft their favorite bird/animal/thing using clay.
- Ask the children what they are modeling and assist them if they ask for it.
- building a team of children who get along so that they can play together
- Present the child’s artwork in the class and narrate a unique fact/ story around it.
Material Required for Clay Sculpture Activity
- A modeling clay,
- A working tray
- A cup or glass to use as a shape
How to Present the Clay Sculpting Activity to the Child?
Children enjoy making things out of clay, as it is both challenging and rewarding. Allow your child to create any object or shape of their choice using ready-to-use clay. Now follow the below steps:
- Ask the child to bring the sculpting tray to the table.
- Show the child how to soften the clay by kneading it, pushing it against the table, and squeezing it between the fingers and palms.
- Now, ask the child to take some dough into their hands, making a small circular-shaped ball.
- Start molding the clay by pushing fingers downwards into the clay.
- Using the cup, give shape to the cup, as shown in the video.
- A cup clay sculpture is ready. Ask the child to repeat this activity and create a new object.
Watch the video to learn how to create beautiful clay sculptures.
Have fun with your child and let their imagination touch the sky by making clay sculptures. Bring their inner artist out as they mold their favorite shapes out of the clay.
Related Arts and Crafts Video Resources
To watch more arts and crafts videos, click here.
Video created by: Strykun Olena
- How do I teach my child to sculpt?
Clay sculpting is very easy to introduce to the child. Just watch the video and follow the steps. Ask the child to create a masterpiece once the activity is introduced. Don’t forget to encourage them.
- Why is sculpting important for children?
Clay modeling has numerous benefits such as it helps in promoting creativity, building fine motor skills, boosting confidence, and relieving stress.
- art and craft activity
- arts and crafts
- primary level