This practical life lesson is designed for 1-3-year-old children to teach them how to snap and unsnap the buttons using a snap frame.
What is a Montessori snap frame?
The snap frame is one of the Montessori dressing frames to help the children learn how to wear different clothing items. It also promotes independence and self-care in children.
The Montessori Snap frame holds a cloth and the snap buttons that children may encounter while dressing.
Benefits of the Montessori Dressing Frame:
- It helps to encourage the child to dress independently.
- It develops finger control and dexterity to manipulate snap buttons.
- It boosts independence and enhances concentration
- It advances a child’s fine motor skills.
- It strengthens the finger muscles and allows them to practice hand-eye coordination.
Material Required for the activity
Montessori Dressing frame: The Snap frame
How to Present the Montessori Snap frame to the child?
This activity is divided into two parts: a. Unsnapping the button and b. Snapping the button
Firstly, Invite the child to the table and tell them that you have something to show. Now, tell the child that we will be learning how to snap and unsnap buttons using the snap frame.
Unsnapping the buttons
- Place the left-hand index and middle fingers flat to the left of the first snap.
- Using your right thumb and index finger, pinch the flap next to the button on the right.
- Now, pull your right fingers up quickly with a small movement to undo the snap.
- Open the flap a bit to show the child that the snap is unsnapped.
- Repeat the steps for the remaining snaps
Snapping the buttons
- Place the left-hand index and middle fingers flat near the top snap.
- Put your right index finger on the top snap and wrap your right thumb around the material and below the underside of the snap.
- Place the top of the snap on top of the point part.
- Remove the right thumb.
- Press down with the right index finger.
- When you hear the snap, lift your right index finger.
- Repeat the steps for the remaining snaps.
Repeat this activity as shown in the video, by asking the child to snap the buttons of their clothes and instill a sense of independence and confidence in them.
For more practical life lessons, click here.
Video Created by: Krystin Peters
- Practical Life