This Montessori practical life activity is designed for 1-3-year-old children to help them learn how to zip and unzip clothes while dressing.
What is the Montessori Zipper Frame?
The Montessori zipper frame is an innovative, practical, and versatile educational tool to help children to dress independently. The dressing zipper frame is made of a hardwood frame with cloth flaps that fasten with a zipper. It promotes independence in the child and prepares them to wear their own clothes.
This activity enhances a child’s concentration, focus, and fine motor skills. It also strengthens the finger muscles and allows them to practice hand-eye coordination.
Material Required for the Activity
Montessori Dressing frame: The Zipper frame
How to Present the Montessori Zipper Frame to the Child?
This activity is divided into two parts: a. unzipping and b. zipping
Firstly, Invite the child to the table and tell them that you have something to show. Tell the child that we will be learning how to zip and unzip clothes using the zipper frame. Place the frame so the zipper handle is on the top. Now, follow the steps below
- Place your right thumb under the zipper handle and place your right index finger over to pinch the zipper together.
- Using your left thumb and index finger, pinch the top portion to the right of the zipper teeth.
- Gently pull the zipper handle down.
- When you get to the bottom, slow down so that you can emphasize when the pin slides out.
- Make sure the pin slides out of the holder.
- Open both right and left flaps.
- The zip of the zipper frame is open.
- Hold the zipper handle between your right thumb and index finger.
- Place your right index finger on the top of the tab and your right thumb on the bottom.
- Firmly press together.
- With your left thumb and index finger, pinch the bottom part of the zipper teeth.
- Slowly insert the pin into the tab and push the tab fully in.
- Pinch the zipper handle with your right thumb and index finger.
- Using your left hand, pull the material tight.
- Lift the zipper handle to the top.
- Lay the zipper handle downwards.
Repeat this activity, as shown in the video, by asking the child to zip the buttons of their clothing and instill a sense of independence and confidence in them.
To watch more Montessori practical life lessons, click here.
Video created by: Hillary Dahl
- Practical Life