This practical life activity is designed for 3-6-year-old children to teach them how to fold socks.
In our previous lesson, we learned how to fold clothes. Learning how to fold socks is the second in a series when learning to fold laundry.
Purpose of folding socks activity
There is nothing better than teaching children to look after their own things. Folding socks is one such activity that teaches children visual discrimination, matching, care of self, and develops fine motor skills. As they do the daily chores of life, they become independent and gain a sense of confidence. It aims to develop order, concentration, coordination, and independence.
Perquisites of folding socks activity
A child must be able to match objects and pictures.
Materials required for socks folding activity
- Different-sized pairs of socks
- A basket to put the socks in
How to fold socks?
- Invite the child to bring the folding socks activity tray to the table.
- Tell them today we will learn how to fold different socks.
- Indicating the smaller socks, show the child to pair the socks in half by grasping the top of socks to the bottom of the socks.
- Invite the child to try.
- Now, place your left thumb inside the top of the folded socks and hold it firmly.
- Grasp the edge of the sock’s top and pull it over the end of your fingers to keep the pair of socks together.
- Tell the child that “this is how we fold the small pair of socks.
- Invite the child to try folding smaller socks.
- When the child masters the folding smaller pair of socks, tell them now we will fold this long pair of socks.
- Repeat step 3.
- To make another fold, we will again repeat step 3, as shown in the video. (Note: the number of half folds depends upon how long socks are)
- Now repeat step 6 to keep the socks together.
- Invite the child to repeat the activity.
Once the child has successfully folded the socks, ask them to place them at the top left of their table or on the surface next to other clothes.
Variations of the folding socks activity
- Mix several socks and ask the child to match and complete the pair of socks.
- Ask them to pair up pairs of similar socks (e.g. blue socks with distinct patterns) and fold them by observing the patterns on the socks.
Watch the video to learn how to fold socks and instill a sense of confidence in children.
Related practical life skills activity
To watch more practical life videos, click here.
Video Created by: Strykun Olena
- english language
- Montessori at home
- Practical Life
- primary level